What is Causing My Tooth Pain?
Tooth pain can be very debilitating. It can affect your work and home life, and if left untreated, may develop into a more serious problem. Dr. Gavin Schill provides family dental care throughout Elkhart, IN. He can find the root of your tooth pain and fix the problem quickly and efficiently.
Causes of Tooth Pain
Generally, a toothache is caused when the root nerve of a tooth or the tissue surrounding a tooth becomes irritated or inflamed. The most common caused of tooth pain are tooth decay, gum or tooth infection, or damage to a tooth. In some cases, pain may originate elsewhere and radiate to your jaw, so it feels like toothache. This can be caused by earache, TMJ (temporomandibular joint dysfunction), or both.
Symptoms of Tooth Pain
Signs and symptoms of tooth pain may include:
- Discomfort while biting or chewing
- Bleeding from teeth or gums
- Sensitivity to heat or cold
- Discharge from teeth or gums
- Inflammation of the gums
- Swelling of the jaw
- Injury to teeth or gums
When to Talk to a Dentist About tooth Pain
You should make an appointment with your family dentist about your tooth pain when:
- It is still a problem after you have treated it with over-the-counter pain medications
- You experience pain several days after you have had a tooth extracted in case of dry socket
- You are experiencing a fever
- Your gums or face is swollen
- You are experiencing pain each time you open your mouth
- You are experiencing pain in your wisdom teeth
Your dentist will make a thorough examination of your teeth and may take X-rays of your teeth and jaw. This will help them to make an accurate diagnosis and provide you with effective treatment.
If you are experiencing a toothache, don’t delay visiting your dentist. If you are looking for a family dentist in Elkhart, IN, call Dr. Schill on (574) 262-4378 to book an appointment for yourself and your family.