Dr. Gavin Schill of Christiana Creek Dental Care has years of experience providing dental implants in Elkhart, IN. He works hard to minimize your risk of side effects or lingering problems. However, there's always a risk of potential complications with any surgery. Here are a few of the most common side effects, including temporary minor problems and more severe oral health issues.
Temporary Side Effects: Usually Go Away Quickly
After your surgery, you may develop temporary side effects. However, these usually last short periods and don't indicate any significant health troubles. Just a few symptoms you might experience after getting implants include:
- Gum Swelling – You may experience swelled gums for at least 48 hours after implant surgery
- Bruises – Expect bruises around your mouth and guns for a few days after treatment
- Discomfort– Minor pain and discomfort around the implant site may linger for two weeks
- Bleeding – Talk to your dentist if you bleed longer than 24 hours
- Anesthesia Side Effects – The sedation of your anesthesia may last several hours
These side effects rarely last long and should fade as your body recovers. However, more severe side effects could also occur. Understanding these can help you diagnose them quickly and get dental care help right away to stay healthy.
More Serious Side Effects
When getting dental implants in Elkhart, IN, you may experience more severe side effects. These often occur around the implant site and can cause unnecessary pain. If you spot any of these concerns, talk to your dentist right away. They can take steps to minimize their impact. These issues include:
- Inflamed gums that linger longer than a few weeks
- Odd smells or tastes from the implant
- Looseness around the implant site that may worsen
- Fracture in the implant that may result in failure
Some people may be allergic to the materials used in implants. This rare situation can cause problematic reactions that may result in a hospital visit. Talk to your dentist about this risk and get an allergy test if you're concerned. Most of these problems can be easily fixed by a few procedures after treatment.
Minimize Your Risk of Implant Issues
While implants may come with a few potential side effects, regular checkups at Christiana Creek Dental Care can help. Dr. Schill understands how to keep dental implants in Elkhart, IN, from serious concerns. However, if they develop, he'll do what he can to improve your treatment and minimize suffering. Call us at (574) 262-4378 to set up an appointment.